Communications and Legislative Affairs Manager
A manager level position that acts as a senior advisor to the Executive Director regarding OKI’s strategic goals. Responsible for the Communications Department, government and legislative affairs, public relations and creating partnerships in support of OKI’s mission. Leads, manages, trains, evaluates, and develops assigned staff.
- Manages communications; provides timely progress updates and reports to the Executive Director.
- Plans, directs, and controls departmental budget and resources; responsible and accountable for Communications and Media Relations goals and objectives that support OKI’s mission.
- Acts as a senior advisor to the Executive Director regarding OKI’s internal and external organizational data, such as legislative updates and marketing trends.
- Meets and coordinates with elected officials from the local, state and federal levels
- Seeks out new grant opportunities in support of OKI’s mission; seeks out new funding sources in support of OKI’s mission.
- Directs and oversees the OKI’s social media activities; delegates to assigned staff.
- Makes presentations to agencies, businesses, communities, and groups including elected officials.
- Responsible for agency publications, including, but not limited to the Annual reports, brochures, and informational materials. Coordinates other agency publications as needed.
- Oversees and coordinates the work of consultants. Attends meetings and ensures follow-up communications and related timelines.
- Responsible and accountable for employee selection, staffing, training, delegation, development, discipline, and timely performance evaluation of assigned employees.
- Responsible for employee relations and all internal management functions for the Communications Department.
- Responsible and accountable for all administrative functions related to this position.
- Stay abreast of transportation/infrastructure policies and legislative affairs stay aware of state and local transportation issues
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.
Job Qualifications (Knowledge Skills and Abilities):
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, or related discipline.
- Seven to Eight years of combined experience in Communications, Public Relations, Management and Legislative Affairs
- Extensive experience in the aforementioned fields may be substituted for education above the Bachelor Degree level.
- Experience in leading a staff
- Experience in the office of an elected official is preferred
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of federal and state planning requirements to attract funding from state and federal agencies.
- Excellent working knowledge of social media, media relations, press meetings and public relations
- Excellent understanding of legislative principals, trends, and day-to-day developments on a local, state, and national level
Licensure and Certification Requirements
- Essential Physical Skills
Ability to hear, speak; makes speeches. Ability to occasionally lift 30 pounds. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license – in good standing.
- Environmental Condition Requirements
Work inside the office in a sedentary posture. Frequent attendance at meetings (internal staff and outside agencies, boards, communities.)
Qualified and interested candidates should send an email that includes their resume and cover letter to:
Jessica Ondrovic, HR Manager